Thursday, January 31, 2008

A little purse

Well the month has flown by rather fast, and I realise that I havent posted to my blog for two weeks so here I am giving you an update of what I have been doing. I have finally unpacked and am in the new residence, though I still don't know where I have put a lot of stuff its obviously going to take me a little while to get used to the new place. The biggest challenge at the moment is getting used to having neighbours again - all whom seem to have dogs(barking ones). I of course have two of my own, but they have been brought up NOT to bark at every little movement, whilst the dogs around us seem to bark at birds, leaves and even the dark. I am used to being able to get up and walk outside in my dressing gown here if I do that my neighbour is usually the very first person that I see and my dressing gown is not the most glamorous item in my wardrobe.
I did not knit for the first 17 days of the new year, I have been given a fleece and I have been busy cleaning it and carding it ready to spin. I am only a third of the way through washing and carding and so far I have three bins full of fleece waiting to be spun and I am not looking forward to cleaning the rest of the fleece its so labour intensive. The little purse in the pic is what I managed to finish in knitting, the pattern comes from the book A Gathering of Lace by Meg Swansen and there are some beautiful patterns in this book. I really want to do another pattern in the book The Hexagonal Purse, but this is knit in the round and starts with 6 itty bitty stitches on dpns which are joined and knit in the round, for the life of me I just cannot join those itty bitty stitches into the round, I drop the needles, twist the yarn or just plain drop stitches, Ive tried everything I could think of -nothing works so if anyone has any ideas Im all ears

5 comments:

Sue said...

Hi Ali,
Well done on your move and I hope you settle in quickly. The purse is very pretty. Sorry I'm of no help but I'm no better at starting small circular items on dpns. I'd probably go with magic loop, at least then there are only two needle ends to deal with.
Sue

hesira said...

That is such a pretty purse! I can't help you with your cast on, as I've never tried such a small number of stitches. Good luck.

I hope you get used to your new surroundings!

Unknown said...

Hiiiiiiiii! So glad to hear you're settling in. :D I can imagine how difficult it is to adjust to neighbors again. !! The purse is stunning! Good you took a pic 'fore giving it away! LOL As for the casting on so few stitches to knit in the round, I have done this (mini items) and found that casting onto a straight and knitting one row, then transferring to dpns (in this case, 2/needle), joining and going from there does work for me. When finished, you just need to weave the end so that it looks like a knit stitch and as if the first row was worked around..... HTH! HUGS!

Unknown said...

Your purse is darling. Would love to see some pics of your new living place - outside and in.

Missed you.
Shelagh

Unknown said...

I found some 7cm long bamboo dpn's on ebay - I think they're still there. They were sold in a complete set of all sizes from 2mm to 7mm and there's five needles in each packet.

They are super light and super short short and perfect for those fiddly starts. And they look so cute!