Friday, October 12, 2007

No Parking here


I wanted to show you the differences between knitting through the back loop as opposed to knitting through the front and so I dragged out a doll I had been working on late last year, but had put down because I had made a mistake and didn't want to fix it.

Turns out that I couldn't fix it but that wasnt too bad I only had to reknit the body, so I dragged out the yarn and started knitting. Then I compared what I had knitted from months ago with my newly knitted piece. The piece on the left is the one I knitted months ago, tension is loose, stitches are huge (big enough to park a truck in!). Now the piece on the right, stitches are even, tension is good, and the garage space has been taken out of the stitches. I much prefer the look of the right hand piece, so I think I'm going to keep on knitting through the front, it may give me the prod I need to get back into knitting things like cardigans and sweaters, something I sort of gave up on because my gauge never seemed to be accurate, it must be harder to get a good tension through the back loop, maybe because you don't have as good a control over the yarn feeding to the stitch, whereas through the front loop you do.
The doll by the way is The Mad Hatter by Alan Dart part of a series of The Alice in Wonderland Story and no he is not finished yet, but I will get to him once I finished this er, um (mumble) lace pattern...........!


2 comments:

Sue said...

Hi Ali,
That picture really does show the difference. Well done on changing the way you knit, it's not easy, but it's worth the effort.

Unknown said...

Wow! Sue's right ... the difference is amazing! The "old" way actually looks like that "twisted knit" stitch ... really pretty, I think, but definitely NOT how SS should look! Bravo on the hard work and sticking to it till you figured it out!
Eve :o)