Monday, September 24, 2007

Oh Magoo you've done it again

Did you ever see the cartoon of Mr Magoo? Mr Magoo was a bumbling man with very poor eyesight who kept getting things wrong due to such eyesight. At the end of every cartoon he would say to himself Oh Magoo you've done it again. Well that's how I feel. As I have mentioned before, I taught myself to knit and have continued on from there. Now as I broaden my horizons I have started learning different methods of doing things and exploring some of the techniques that I see and hear about on the Internet.
This morning, I decided to investigate the leaning stitches that are produced when you do the two different types i.e K2tog and the sl1 K1 method I had used this method in a number of items and was puzzled because both those stitches when I did them didn't look any different at all -why was this so? Was being a left-handed knitter the reason?
Suddenly the light bulb came on! I always knit into the back of the stitch! I don't knit into the front! So in the great words of that American Icon Homer Simpson

DOH!

Now you might want to try this for yourself to see, but if you knit thru the back like I do/did this has the same effect for a sl1k1, k2tog, it also has the effect of "twisting" the stitch, I thought as did my mother that was because I was left handed, now a swatch later knitting thru the front and doing the k2tog, sl1k1, I can see how this works......

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh cripes! I've noticed the same thing (no difference in lean), and I figured I just wasn't SEEING it properly! (I really DO have vision much like Mr. Magoo! LOL) I, like you, was always knitting as 'normal' and was also passing as if to knit rather than as if to purl.... I take it that it's the passing that would be done through the front, or as if to purl?

I was just experimenting with these leaning stitches but with the M1L and M1R increases. That difference is even harder to see...... !!!

Funny how we're so often doing much the same thing without an inkling that the other is fussing at the same issue. :D
Eve