Tuesday, September 25, 2007

An Old Dog and New Tricks

After my gob smacking, soul destroying discovery yesterday, I quickly evaluated my situation. Should I give up knitting altogether and direct my attention to other hobbies? Should I delete all the projects of my knitting online so others cannot see the glaring problem that I so blissfully ignored? The conclusion I came to was no...my work isn't that bad, sure it has a slight twist but 20 years of knitting and all I had in comments have been nice about the twist that appears within my knitted pieces I haven't had a negative comment at all, so they will stay.

Last night I got back on the horse that threw me and began some practise swatches. Some observations I have about stitch that I'm re-learning, the tension is better in my knitting, my stitches are more even and better defined, and the stitch is just as easy as knitting thru the back, though I do have to watch myself as mindless as swatch knitting is sometimes when your attention is not on your knitting you tend to slip back into bad habits. They say it takes three weeks to form a bad habit, I wonder how long it will be before I break this 20year old bad habit.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hm.... Perhaps you shouldn't attempt to relearn something that's been serving you quite faithfully. I mean, who's to say that knitting with the twist to every stitch isn't even better than without? You could knit without the twist as "a change" or to purposefully create a different outcome. All it means to me is that the twist in your knitting makes it that much more unique ... and more y-o-u! :D
Eve
PS - I've ALWAYS admired your work and found it perfectly beautiful!!!