Monday, December 10, 2007

Bunka You!



I have some weird and wonderful things in my stash, and I was hunting for some gold thread I had to experiment plying with, when I came across a shoebox given to me by a friend. Inside this shoebox were lots of threads wound onto bobbins and these needles that looked like medieval torture tools. Curiosity got the better of me and I looked up the name of the thread Bunka, turns out is a Japanese type of embroidery. Now I'm not the sewing type of girl, I don't like doing embroidery the closest I have done would be cross-stitch, and that was pretty basic, my sister on the other hand was a queen at cross stitch and I have some beautiful cross-stitch that she had done.

The reason I brought this up was because the thread that is used in Bunka is a chain like thread and you sort of pull on the end of the thread and it unravels like knitting and I think would be good for plying with my yarn that I have on the bobbin at present without adding thickness to the yarn. I'm not sure what to do about the needles I would like to pass them on to someone who has a use for them but I don't know if this type of embroidery is done any more.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Crap! Just tried to leave a (lengthy!) comment, and got dumped out to Google. GRrrrrrrrr.

Anyhow, that's a way cool idea you've got about using the thread plied with your wool. Should give a very interesting dimension and interest -- :D

As for the nasty-looking tools, perhaps someone on Y or rcty would know if anyone does this form of embroidery anymore. Maybe Mirjam would know -- she seems to have her finger on the pulse of anything related to fiberarts.

HUGS!