Monday, December 3, 2007

Look mum I can spin


I have been remiss in keeping up with the blog, unfortunately real life sticks its nose in and just won't leave me alone!


I have been rather busy in my time away from my blog, I finally plucked up enough courage to try and get a handle on this spinning business, I washed some of the fleece that I had been given with the spinning wheel and tried it out.
Whats pictured here is the result of my labor, not bad for a complete novice!
I have been gathering information on spinning for a couple of weeks, I have a friend that spins and she has been giving me advice (by telephone) and I have been looking at online resources to help me. Whilst I have an abundance of information to help me its been difficult not having someone on hand who can teach me, so a lot of learning is done by trial and error. I think Im getting the hang of it, I had thought that controlling the thickness of the fibre would be my main problem but thats not been the case I have more problems working out the tension more than anything else (although I seem to be making laceweight thickness rather than a bulky yarn-not a problem since thats what I wanted it for) I haven't attempted plying yet, I think I need to do some more research on that topic but so far I am very happy with my progress.... after all a journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step.........



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Go you, WW! :D

Unknown said...

Your spinning looks great! I am a novice too but I think I may have a little more experience as I have now done 2 courses through the Spinner's and Weaver's Guild of Victoria in Carlton....you should join your local spinning group, they are a wealth of knowledge and it's such a fun thing to do - it really bridges all ages, my 18month old is even trying to put wool in the orifice!